The Pillars of Success in Recruitment Newsletter 5
# Building Solid Networks
The Pillars of Success in Recruitment – Building Solid Networks. As a recruiter your livelihood depends on WHO you know and how much INFLUENCE you have with the people you know or are connected to. It is common knowledge that being present and active on all social media platforms is essential for success as a recruiter. However, you can have large numbers of connections on Linked-In, Twitter, Facebook etc with no influence and the effort to grow those networks is meaningless. This is also true of your physical networks, having many acquaintances does not automatically result in making a difference or influencing them.
Here are a few tips on building networks whether they are on social media or physical:
- Know your goals. Who is your target market and what do you want to achieve by connecting?
- Keep in mind professionals are real people, be authentic, show a keen interest in who they are.
- Be present, respond to anyone who approaches you even if you are not able to assist them.
- Offer something without expecting anything in return. Helpful articles on relevant topics for your target market is a good starting point.
- Do some pro-bona work in your community.
- Consciously create a credible and trustworthy profile. ‘Do what you say and say what you do’ whether that is in person or on social media.
- Your content including photos and images should be appropriate and professional but interesting.
Make it a daily priority to connect with someone new and encourage a group or an individual who is part of your network. You will grow your self esteem and leave a legacy as you go!
Human beings have a need to be connected, create meaning and find fulfilment, recruitment offers all the above with the bonus of the opportunity to make a great living. Have fun, build networks and let those placements roll in.